Our Construction Law Practice Group assists clients through all phases of construction projects, including development of initial contract documents, subcontractor agreements, payment disputes, project financing, mechanics liens, and in the performance and management of projects.
We represent public and private owners and developers, institutional clients, hospitals, schools, general contractors, subcontractors, construction managers, equipment suppliers, architects/engineers and other design professionals. We provide a full range of cost-effective legal services to our construction industry clients.
- We draft and negotiate project contracts to assure timely completion of work, proper allocation of risk, and avoidance of future disputes.
- We proactively review client’s forms of contract and subcontract and advise them on revisions to better serve their interests.
- We develop new contract forms for any project or task.
- We advise project team members in forming and managing contractual relationships.
Construction Claims and Litigation
- We defend against claims and prosecute lawsuits arising from all aspects of construction projects including termination disputes, delay damages, payment disputes, breach of contract, lien foreclosures, warranty claims, insurance coverage issues and allegations of defective design or construction.
- We represent clients in arbitration claims and proceedings and work to resolve disputes in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- When litigation arises, we use our extensive trial experience to aggressively litigate construction claims through trial and appeal.
- We represent both governmental entities and private contractors in connection with government contract work.
Termination and Default
- We assist clients in working through terminations for cause and convenience, where payment and default damages are at issue.
- We recommend strategies for handling terminations, negotiating no-cost terminations, and navigating proper terminations for convenience.
- We represent architects, engineers and other design professionals on contractual issues and in litigation where claims such as design deficiency and negligent construction administration are at issue.
- We defend and prosecute claims in litigation and arbitration by or against design professionals and by or against professional liability insurance carriers.
Labor and Employment
- Attorneys in our Employment Law Practice Group represent construction industry clients in connection with the full range of employment and labor law issues encountered by the industry.
Environmental Construction Risks
Green/Sustainable Design and Construction
Property Damage Claims
- We regularly represent owners, contractors and design professionals in claims for property damage arising during construction and after completion.
- We assist clients in navigating complex insurance coverage issues in connection with construction defect claims and may also act as assigned counsel to clients’ insurers when insured claims arise.
Bleakley Platt is committed to our clients’ success and believes that in some instances, an alternative fee arrangement may be preferable to a traditional hourly fee structure. Such arrangements require approval by the Firm’s management. To learn more about the Firm’s policy regarding alternative fee arrangements, click here or speak with a partner.