Mr. Hannigan is the head of our Product Liability Practice Group. He is also a member of the Toxic Tort/Complex Litigation Practice Groups and co-chair of the Construction Law Practice Group.
For over ten years, Mr. Hannigan was a federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice and a New York City prosecutor in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. During that time, he litigated antitrust, organized crime and major felony cases.
Since entering private practice in 1988, Mr. Hannigan has acted as lead counsel in significant product liability, complex toxic torts, and employment cases. His present practice includes the representation of a variety of major corporations in litigated matters, including serving as coordinating counsel for corporate clients. Mr. Hannigan also represents corporate clients in wage/hour employment discrimination cases and educational institutions in tenure denial cases in Federal Court.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- Villanova University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First and Second Circuits
- Currently representing defendants as trial counsel in toxic tort “clean room” birth defect litigation pending in Delaware State Court (2011 – present). (Anderson v. A.T.M.I., et al.).
- Successfully represented an automobile/diesel engine manufacturer in a multi-party chemical exposure case in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (Jackson v. Daimler, et al.) (2010-2012).
- Successfully represented as trial counsel an automobile manufacturer in a product liability case claiming defective design as to overpower, restraint system failure, steering and roof structure. Obtained Summary Judgment as to all issues in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. (Soliman v. Mercedes Benz)(2012).
- Acted as coordinating and lead trial counsel for a manufacturer in nationwide “welding rod” product liability litigation in Illinois, Texas and California State Courts (In Re: Welding Rod Litigation) (2002-2010).
- Successfully represented a corporate employer and obtained dismissal of employees’ overtime compensation claims under FLSA in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. (Bilyou v. Dutchess Distribution Co.) (2006).
- Represented as trial counsel, a University in tenure denial cases and obtained summary judgment against a plaintiff professor seeking reinstatement after denial of tenure in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2011).
- Successfully represented as trial counsel, a University in a breach of contract case against the University’s head basketball coach who was hired by another University while under contract (2011-2012).
- Represented as trial counsel several automobile and off road vehicle (ATV) manufacturers and distributors in catastrophic injury product liability cases in various state and federal courts.
- Lead investigating counsel and prosecutor in multiple defendant organized crime narcotic distribution and conspiracy cases in New York State Supreme Court as a member of the Special Investigation Bureau of the New York County District Attorney’s Office.
- Member of United States Department of Justice trial team in the prosecution of International Business Machine Corporation (IBM), for antitrust violations in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Product Liability Advisory Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- New York County District Attorney Association
- Fordham Law Alumni Association
- Villanova University Alumni Association
- Past President – Trucking Litigation Group – Defense Research Institute
- Past Committee Chair – Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section – American Bar Association
- Irish Arts Council Representative
- Board of Directors – Pomperang High School Athletics, Southbury, CT
- CCD Instructor – St. John of the Cross RC Church