The lineage of Bleakley Platt & Schmidt, LLP dates back to 1867 through the evolution of several legal partnerships and mergers. In the early days, the Firm operated from a New York City office in lower Manhattan.
Bleakley Platt & Schmidt, LLP as it exists today began in 1937. William F. Bleakley of Yonkers joined the law firm of Platt & Walker to create the firm of Bleakley, Platt & Walker and opened the Firm’s first office in the City of White Plains, across from the county courthouse. “Judge” Bleakley served as a New York State Supreme Court Justice prior to running for Governor of New York in 1936. Livingston Platt, a successful attorney in private practice, also had extensive experience in local, state and national politics.
Bleakley Platt has deep roots in White Plains, Westchester County and the Hudson Valley. Judge Bleakley drafted the first Westchester County Charter and then served as Westchester’s first County Executive. Judge Bleakley was succeeded as County Executive by another member of the Firm, James D. Hopkins.
Bleakley Platt has a proud history and tradition of public service. An impressive number of Bleakley Platt alumni have served on the bench. James D. Hopkins served as a Justice on the Appellate Division, Second Department of the State Supreme Court. Arthur B. Brennan and Frederick G. Schmidt also attained distinction in the Appellate Division. Three additional Firm alumni sat as State Supreme Court Justices. One of these Justices also served as Surrogate for Westchester County.
In the late 1980’s, two former Bleakley Platt partners simultaneously held federal chief judgeships: Honorable Charles L. Brieant, U.S.D.J., former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and Honorable Thomas L. Platt, U.S.D.J., former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
The Firm subsequently grew under the leadership and direction of William F. “BJ” Harrington and Fred Martin to become one of the preeminent law firms in the Hudson Valley region. Today, the Firm has grown to more than 40 lawyers, serving our clients and the community through proficiency, public service and charitable works. Our history continues.