Mr. Murphy sits on the Firm’s Executive Committee, is the chairman of the Firm’s Construction Law practice group, and is a member of the Firm’s Environmental, Insurance Brokers and Agents, and Litigation Practice Groups. He is an experienced trial attorney who has successfully obtained favorable jury verdicts in complex, high exposure cases. He is also an experienced and skilled advisor to clients on environmental and construction matters. His environmental clients include multinational manufacturers, construction companies, developers, property owners, major oil companies, local petroleum vendors, UST manufacturers, chemical distributors, dry cleaning companies, and other trades and businesses.
Mr. Murphy handles environmental matters for both corporate and insurance clients, in litigated claims as well as direct administrative regulatory and enforcement proceedings with federal, state, county and local environmental agencies. He counsels clients on environmental risks, property acquisition due diligence, enforcement implications and regulatory requirements in a variety of business and transactional settings. His substantive areas of practice include CERCLA/RCRA,TSCA, CWA, New York’s Navigation Law, Wetlands, Part 360 Landfilling issues and other environmental and regulatory enforcement exposures.
In the construction arena, Mr. Murphy represents construction clients (owners, hospitals, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals) – both as claimants and respondents – in litigation, at trial, and in arbitrations on controversies ranging from mechanics lien issues, construction defect claims and delay damages to wrongful termination and payment disputes. He regularly drafts and negotiates contracts for clients involved in private and government projects and provides legal guidance throughout a project’s life.
Mr. Murphy also represents insurance brokers in disciplinary hearings before the New York State Department of Financial Services and the NYAIP, representing brokers at audits when charged with various violations, and in administrative hearings and appeals from same.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1986
- Hobart College, B.A., 1982
- New York State
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Lead counsel for PRPs at several federal and New York State Superfund Sites
- Obtained defense verdict after month-long trial for chemical supplier in pollution and remediation claims brought by dry cleaner and property owner
- Drafts and negotiates remediation contracts for RD/RA work at contaminated sites
- Drafts construction contracts and subcontracts for construction clients for major public and private projects and jobs
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Trial Attorney Sections
- Pro Bono Partnership
- New York State Bar Association, lecturer on trial practice and civil litigation
- Presenter for current environmental topics at national trade associations