Frederick J. Martin
Mr. Martin is the head of the Valuation, Condemnation and Tax Certiorari Practice Group; a member of our Litigation and Appellate Practice Groups; and member of the Executive Committee, Emeritus. In addition, Mr. Martin has served as a Westchester County Supervisor and as Councilman for the City of Yonkers.
Mr. Martin has been with Bleakley Platt for over 60 years. He has tried and won precedent-setting property tax assessment cases representing major department store chains, shopping centers and large industrial facilities. He has won major property tax cases on behalf of hundreds of others. He has successfully defended clients’ contractual rights with oil company dealers as well as commercial free speech before the New York Court of Appeals. He has successfully litigated constitutional due process, freedom of speech and eminent domain claims, statutory construction and Article 78 cases and appeals through the New York Court of Appeals and in the Second and Third Circuit Courts of Appeal of the United States. He recently argued and won a landmark decision in the New York Court of Appeals establishing the constitutionality of newly introduced Video Lottery Terminals at New York race tracks.
Mr. Martin has lectured on various legal issues at the International Conference of the Lincoln Land Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark, Harness Tracks of America (Florida and Arizona), the Institute for Professionals in Taxation, and the American Bar Association and has been a frequent presenter at New York State continuing legal education programs.
- Columbia University Law School, LL.B., 1957
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 1954 (cum laude)
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Assessing Officers
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV® Preeminent (5.0 out of 5)
- Fred Martin Racing, LLC