SEXUAL HARASSMENT & EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION PRACTICE GROUP
- Bleakley Platt’s Sexual Harassment & Employment Discrimination Practice Group guides business clients in understanding the discrimination laws and regulations that govern workplace conduct. Our attorneys have counseled clients regarding local, state and federal laws and litigated discrimination, harassment and retaliation lawsuits. We provide a full range of cost-effective legal services to our corporate clients.
- In complex business environments, employers often encounter the risk of facing workplace disputes with their employees. Our legal team represents employers who are facing allegations of discrimination as well as employment contract disputes, and sexual harassment complaints.
- In addition to our representation of employers, we regularly advise corporate executives concerning offer letters; employment agreements and compensation arrangements; separation agreements; and internal investigations.
- We counsel clients on compliance with anti-discrimination laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; the Americans with Disabilities Act; the Rehabilitation Act; the Equal Pay Act; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act; the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses and other federal and state anti-discrimination laws.
- Our attorneys frequently contribute to employment law publications and are often guest speakers on employment law panels for in house counsel and human resource professionals, presenters at college campuses and continuing legal education programs, and commentators on local news stations. Through our participation as employment law contributors, we work for the benefit of our clients by keeping abreast of ever-changing laws in this area.
COUNSELING AND TRAINING
- Our Sexual Harassment & Employment Discrimination Group helps employers take precautionary measures to avoid litigation by providing counseling in all aspects of workplace conduct. With employment-related litigation filings steadily increasing over the last decade, our pre-litigation strategic advice is imperative.
- We proactively assist employers in developing policies compliant with discrimination and sexual harassment laws, including updating employee handbooks to help companies avoid future disputes.
- We review employment policies to analyze practices that can create potential issues for a business and ensure that decisions by management do not have an adverse impact on a protected group.
- Our attorneys offer innovative sexual harassment and workplace training programs for businesses as part of our services to ensure that companies comply with their local, state and federal employment law obligations in this area.
- We counsel clients concerning avoidance of retaliation or retaliatory actions against an employee who makes a complaint against the business concerning discrimination, sexual harassment, or a protected whistleblower disclosure.
- We work with company executives, including supervisors and managers, to assist with compliance with workplace trainings and policies to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation and promote positive company culture.
- Our Sexual Harassment & Employment Discrimination Group successfully handles cases in state and federal courts, before state and federal agencies, and at mediations and arbitrations throughout the United States.
- Our attorneys have extensive experience with investigations conducted by state and federal agencies and advise clients concerning the proper approach with each agency while being mindful of the larger litigation strategy.
- We are experienced in the supervision and management of complex employment cases, including initial investigations and discovery, and frequently work with consultants and experts to further the interests of our clients.
Bleakley Platt is committed to our clients’ success and believes that in some instances, an alternative fee arrangement may be preferable to a traditional hourly fee structure. Such arrangements require approval by the Firm’s management. To learn more about the Firm’s policy regarding alternative fee arrangements, click here or dial (914) 287-6161 speak with partner Kathryn Barcroft.