Our Construction Law Practice Group assists clients through all phases of construction projects, including development of initial contract documents, contract negotiations, project financing, and in the performance and management of projects. We represent public and private owners and developers, general contractors, subcontractors, construction managers, equipment suppliers, architects/engineers and other design professionals. We provide a full range of cost effective legal services to our construction industry clients.
- We draft and negotiate contracts to assure proper allocation of risk, responsibility and rewards.
- We develop contract forms for any project or task.
- We advise project team members in forming and managing contractual relationships.
Construction Claims and Litigation
- We defend against claims and prosecute lawsuits arising from all aspects of construction projects including termination disputes, delay damages, payment disputes, insurance coverage and allegations of defective design or construction.
- We represent clients in mediations and arbitrations and work with clients to resolve disputes in an efficient manner.
- When litigation arises, we use our extensive trial experience to aggressively litigate complex construction claims through trial and appeal.
- We represent and assist clients in connection with government contract work.
Termination and Default
- We assist clients in working through terminations for cause and convenience, where payment and default damages are at issue.
- We recommend strategies for handling terminations, negotiating no-cost terminations, and navigating proper terminations for convenience.
- We represent architects, engineers and other design professionals on contractual issues and in litigation where claims of lack of oversight or design deficiencies are at issue.
- We defend and prosecute claims in litigation and arbitration by or against design professionals and by or against professional liability insurance carriers.
Labor and Employment
- Attorneys in our Employment Law Practice Group represent construction industry clients in connection with the full range of employment and labor law issues encountered by the industry.
Environmental Construction Risks
Green/Sustainable Design and Construction
Property Damage Claims
- We regularly represent owners, contractors and design professionals in claims for property damage arising during construction and after completion.
- We assist clients in navigating complex insurance coverage issues in connection with construction defect claims and may also act as assigned counsel to clients' insurers when insured claims arise.
Bleakley Platt is committed to our clients’ success and believes that in some instances, an alternative fee arrangement may be preferable to a traditional hourly fee structure. Such arrangements require approval by the Firm’s management. To learn more about the Firm’s policy regarding alternative fee arrangements, click here or speak with a partner.
For any questions regarding our Construction Law Practice Group, please contact Partner Jonathan Murphy at (914) 287-6165.