Mr. McGowan is a member of the Firm’s Litigation, Labor and Employment Law, Construction Law, and Criminal Defense Practice Groups. In this capacity, Mr. McGowan represents corporate and individual clients at all stages of litigation throughout New York State and federal courts.
Mr. McGowan also serves as labor counsel to several Hudson Valley police unions providing legal representation and advocacy during contract negotiations, mediation, arbitration, PERB proceedings, contract grievances, and disciplinary proceedings.
Prior to joining Bleakley Platt, Mr. McGowan served as a Senior Assistant District Attorney with the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office assigned to the Special Victims’ Unit and an Assistant District Attorney with the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office. As a prosecutor, Mr. McGowan obtained extensive experience through investigating cases, developing litigation strategies, and trying numerous felony cases which he applies to his current practice representing clients in both civil and criminal matters. Mr. McGowan began his career with a law firm in Westchester County handling insurance coverage litigation.
In November 2019, Mr. McGowan was elected to a 4-year term on the Rockland County Legislature. As a Legislator, Mr. McGowan, who took office on January 2, 2020, represents residents in District 15, encompassing portions of Orangetown (Pearl River), Clarkstown (Nanuet, West Nyack), and Chestnut Ridge.
Since 2017, Mr. McGowan has served as a faculty instructor with the Orangetown Police Youth Court and has also served as an adjunct professor at St. Thomas Aquinas College in Sparkill, New York, where he taught undergraduate courses in criminal law and evidence.
From 2020 to 2021, Mr. McGowan was a scholar in the inaugural class of the Steven Epstein DWI Defense Institute, earning a Certificate of Distinction for his work in the class. As a participant in the Institute, Mr. McGowan also successfully completed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s course on DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing.
- New York Law School, J.D., 2010 (cum laude), Managing Editor, New York Law School Law Review
- Saint Thomas Aquinas College, B.A., 2007 (summa cum laude)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Rockland County Bar Association
- Rockland County Ancient Order of Hibernians Bagpipe Band, Bagpiper/Pipe Major
- Rockland County Economic Development Corporation, 2013 Forty Under 40 Award Recipient
- Orangetown Police Youth Court Program, Instructor/Faculty Advisor
- Rockland County Ancient Order of Hibernians, County Board President