Mr. McGowan is a member of the Firm’s Litigation, Construction Law, and Criminal Defense Practice Groups. In this capacity, Mr. McGowan represents individuals, businesses, and municipalities at all stages of litigation throughout New York State and federal courts.
Prior to joining Bleakley Platt, Mr. McGowan served as a Senior Assistant District Attorney with the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office assigned to the Special Victims’ Unit and an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx County where he prosecuted thousands of cases from investigation through trial. Mr. McGowan began his career with a law firm in Westchester County handling insurance coverage litigation.
In November 2019, Mr. McGowan was elected to a 4-year term on the Rockland County Legislature. In his capacity as a Legislator, Mr. McGowan, who took office on January 2, 2020, represents residents in District 15, encompassing portions of Orangetown (Pearl River), Clarkstown (Nanuet, West Nyack), and Chestnut Ridge.
Mr. McGowan has also served as an adjunct professor at St. Thomas Aquinas College in Sparkill, New York, where he has taught undergraduate courses in criminal law and evidence.
- New York Law School, J.D., 2010 (cum laude), Managing Editor, New York Law School Law Review
- Saint Thomas Aquinas College, B.A., 2007 (summa cum laude)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Rockland County Bar Association
- Rockland County Ancient Order of Hibernians Bagpipe Band, Bagpiper/Pipe Major
- Rockland County Economic Development Corporation, 2013 Forty Under 40 Award Recipient
- Orangetown Police Youth Court Program, Instructor/Faculty Advisor
- Rockland County Ancient Order of Hibernians, County Board President