John I. O’Neill
Mr. O’Neill is a member of our Appellate, Commercial Finance, Intellectual Property, and Litigation Practice Groups.
Mr. O’Neill has broad experience representing institutional lenders in middle-market commercial loan workouts, including prosecution of mortgage foreclosures. Mr. O’Neill also has represented his lender clients in an array of bankruptcy issues and has successfully defended lender liability claims, suits by mechanic’s lienors and lien priority disputes. Mr. O’Neill has prosecuted numerous suits to enforce promissory notes, loan guarantees, security agreements and other debt instruments. He has extensive experience in negotiating, documenting and policing workout agreements.
Mr. O’Neill’s litigation experience also includes title insurance claims and coverage issues, suits involving negotiable instruments, products liability, contested probates, business relationships, judgment enforcement, real estate development, banking matters, contract disputes and other commercial controversies.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. O’Neill has represented a noted recording artist and his independent record label. In that capacity, Mr. O’Neill provides advice and representation with respect to recording, concert touring, licensing and other intellectual property issues, as well as related business interests.
- Prosecution of mortgage foreclosures against a variety of properties, ranging from undeveloped land to improved premises housing commercial, industrial and multi-family occupancies
- Bankruptcy issues, including debtor eligibility, case administration, automatic stay relief, plan confirmation, as well as preference and other avoidance actions
- Enforcement of promissory notes, loan guarantees, security agreements and other debt instruments
- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D., 1978
- Buffalo Law Review, Associate Editor, 1976-77; Senior Editor 1977-78
- Boston University, M.A., 1973
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1971 (cum laude)
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Southern, Northern, and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV® Preeminent (5.0 out of 5)